Monday, December 10, 2012

the feel-good experiment.

I am a slave to the scale. I mean, really. I'm not the crazy who weighs myself morning, noon and night. But I'm definitely a daily weigher. I tell myself it's because I like to see how what I eat affects my body, and weighing myself each morning is a good reminder of what behavior I need to be on every day. But really, let's face it - all it does is make me batshit crazy.

I ate out a lot this weekend. But I also spent equal time working out, and I made pretty smart decisions (those of you who knew me in 2010 will be shocked to know that I turned down Bad Juans Saturday night in exchange for water. I KNOW). Feeling confident about my weekend, I stepped on the scale to see the proof of my hard work.

OH WAIT. That's right. If you'd like to actually meet someone who found a way to gain almost 5 pounds in one weekend, allow me to introduce myself.

Mood: Shitty
Dreams: Crushed
All other healthy choices made over the course of the weekend: Forgotten

Funny how that works. And I know I didn't gain 5 pounds in two days. I know weighing yourself daily is BAD. So, I'm going to do an experiment. Every day this week (starting today, because I weighed myself this morning), I'm going to post 5 things I did each day to stay healthy, avoid temptations and stick to my plan. And I'm not going to weigh myself every day. My official weigh in day is Thursday, so that part will stick - but regardless of what the scale says, I'm going to be able to look back this week and see everything I did to feel good, be healthy and be a great version of me. 

1. I stuck to veggies and lean protein for my snacks today. Green beans get really old, but it's worth it.

2. I first corrected what my mind thought was hunger by drinking tons of water. Guess what? It works.

3. I ran an extra quarter of a mile on top of the workout I had already planned and completed. It's not a lot, but I surpassed my expectations.

4. I planned and prepared a healthy dinner tonight, ate small portions and actually listened to my stomach when I was satisfied.

5. I am now successfully holding the plank for the entire duration of the exercise in my Monday night weights class, and tonight I also did the "extras" she threw in to the plank to amp it up. Damn straight.

We'll see if this works. If nothing else, it's a great way to wrap up the day and refocus for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment