Wednesday, February 20, 2013

the truth about my wedding.

Rob and I both know that marrying each other is the coolest thing since Beyonce released her first solo album. We love that we're doing the big day in true Lauren & Rob style - toes in the sand, and a beer in hand. I don't need to constantly proclaim to the world how fantastic it is to be marrying the only other person in this world that I want to simultaneously kill and hug all at the same time, and neither does he. We share that with each other, during Duck Dynasty commercial breaks. So I'm not going to sit here and tell you all about it. If you're married, you get it. If you're still single, and anything like I was 3 years ago, you'd rather let a bird slowly peck at your eyeballs for 8 hours. But I do have to tell you how awesome this wedding planning thing is.

Coordinating centerpieces, discovering all the legalities of marriage licenses and learning that there are 80,000 different shades of white does not concern me. Those things suck, bad. What's awesome is realizing that not only are we having our wedding in my favorite location in the entire world, but we're essentially planning a giant family/best friend vacation in the process. As I hear about friends and family making their travel arrangements, I cannot help but picture how incredibly amazing this entire experience is going to be. Having the opportunity to get married on the beach is a blessing in and of itself, but being able to throw in margaritas with my college roommates, a pool party with friends and the constant presence of my kickass family just completely blows my mind. It's like the best family vacation/spring break/getaway you could ever imagine, culminating in the actual "I do." I mean, seriously? Does this even exist in real life?

Yes, it does. And I've never happier about sticking to my guns and going through with a beach wedding. My heart and soul is in Hilton Head, and Rob's is at that beautiful moment when the ocean hits your toes, but when the tide pulls it back out, your feet still feel the heat from the sun. Throw in an entire week of friends, family, margaritas and a beachfront home, and I'm pretty sure I can die happy.

I have no desire to look at reception decor, find someone to do my hair or figure out the perfect timing for cake cutting and dancing. I'm not concerned with what color my linens are, what color napkins we use to add color or if Rob gets a pedicure before he goes barefoot during the ceremony (no seriously, he better get a fucking pedicure, or I will throw up mid-I-do.). What I care about are my friends and family booking their travel arrangements, and planning several excuses to get all my friends together for beers, fun and sun. What I care about are the pictures, and the fact that I can't wait to see everyone's best Instagram photos with our wedding hashtag. The dancing, the wine and seeing everyone I care about enjoying themselves on the beach. And marrying my best friend. Yes, that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment