Wednesday, July 24, 2013

look good, feel good.

I'm not typically one to advocate fitness and health for vanity reasons. I work out in clearance running capris from Old Navy and my super simple running tanks from Reebok. I look like a hot mess when I work out - and firmly believe that if you don't, you're not doing it right. But let's face it - everyone loves feeling amazing in a brand spankin' new set of workout clothes. For some reason, new running or workout gear gives us motivation to run extra miles and gives us wings we didn't know we had. Funny, how much exercise and motivation are driven by the mind and not the body. But that's for another post.

So when Rob called me on the way home last night and suggested we make the 35 minute drive to the nearest lululemon store to pick out new workout gear, a belated birthday gift for me that we've been putting off until I got closer to my goal weight and to my half marathon, I got kind of giddy inside. Finally, I'd be purchasing their famous Ta Ta Tamer (yes, that's really what it's called) - a sports bra designed for those of us blessed with the bittersweet large rack - which totally benefits us at the bar when we're trying to get drinks, but can be a major pain in the ass during high intensity cardio sessions like running. I'd been putting off purchasing high end workout clothes until I knew I wouldn't rapidly shrink down sizes and no longer have use for them, but I think it's safe to say that the time had come. Goodbye Walmart sports bras I've been using since high school. Yes, seriously.



Here's the loot - two sports bras and a running tank later, I'm feeling like the biggest running badass on the planet. Today's message is this: if you're passionate about health, fitness and losing weight, sometimes it's worth it to splurge on new workout clothes instead of those killer heels. Rob turned to me after I said "thank you" and said, "I knew these would get used way more than anything else I'd buy you," and he's totally right. I live in my workout clothes, and there's no reason you shouldn't feel drop dead fabulous running down the street in something you're proud of. I seriously urge you to make new workout clothes one of your "rewards" for weight loss milestones and exercise goals met. You should reward yourself, and frequently, for committing to a healthy lifestyle and these guys are totally worth the investment. The truth is, when you look good, you feel good. And when you feel good, you look good. The two go hand in hand, and if $58 sports bras aren't your thing, that's totally cool - but find something that is your thing, embrace it, and treat yourself to it.

I busted out the ta ta tamer this morning for an unplanned run (see what new workout gear will do?!) and could not be happier with the support I got from this guy. The sales associate at lulu called it the "mac daddy" of sports bras, and if you're big-chested and into running or other high-intensity cardio, this is totally worth the initial cost. As a 38D, I've spent most of my life wearing two sports bras to make me feel "secure," and have yet to find a single bra that gives me the kind of support I need during workouts - until I tried these. The straps criss-cross in the back, giving you extra support, lift and that tight feeling we all want from a good sports bra. As an added bonus, they don't leave you with smashed boobs either - something I've always hated about my workout bras. Lifted, supported boobs that don't bounce and ache terribly during a run? Apparently it is possible, and it's a beautiful, beautiful thing. Couldn't recommend them highly enough, and they are the perfect reward for the hard work I've put in thus far.

They're also the motivational kick in the ass I needed as I gear up for the final 8 weeks of training before the Air Force Half Marathon. Happy happily-supported ta-ta's, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment