Sunday, January 13, 2013

proactive happiness.

How is it Sunday already? Because I'm pretty sure I just left work on Friday afternoon, desperate for 48 free hours. I'm protesting.

No, but really. This was one of those rare weekends where we didn't have anything major going on. Those weekends are the best, aren't they? The only problem is that more often than not, those "free" weekends are usually spent on completely pointless things like SVU marathons [hey, they're awesome, but total time suckers], wasting money shopping for things I don't need or otherwise spending way too much time in sweatpants. Fortunately, I managed to find a little balance this weekend and now I'm sitting here content, feeling pretty proud of what I accomplished this weekend.

Both dogs got walked on Saturday and Sunday mornings. We were fortunate enough to enjoy some beautiful and unusually warm weather this weekend, and our poor pups haven't been out on the town in weeks because our city does a super awesome job {NOT} of plowing our streets. Walked and tired pups = happy Rob and Lauren.

I went for my first outdoor run in 2013. I was a little nervous - I've spent the past couple months on the treadmill and I know damn well that readjusting to the pavement can be a struggle. It seems like health has been on my side lately, and all the other cardio and exercise I've been doing have made my runs so much easier and more enjoyable. Yay for that. It rained on me, but I was able to run my 5k route in a tshirt and running capris - in JANUARY. Um....I'll take it.

Rob and I made our honeymoon decision. We had already decided where to go, but were both overwhelmed at the cost and were concerned we'd be taking too much on in the midst of all the other craziness going on this year. We both established a plan we're comfortable with, and I CAN. NOT. WAIT.

I set up some plans for wedding planning this weekend - for both mine and my best friend's wedding. There are so many lunches/meetings/fittings coming up here in the next month and I'm super excited to see things finally coming together for all my friends. Getting appointments, lunches and plans established finally makes it all real!

Rob and I spent some time with family we don't get to see very often. Spending some time with my cousin's family and her awesome boys was a great change of pace for us, and we don't get to see them enough. Rob had way more fun than the kids did setting up a new firehouse Lego set though, which basically means that I am marrying an 8 year old.

We saw a movie today. Not a big deal, right? WRONG. Rob has a serious intolerance for other people talking and chewing during movies in the theater, so we often just wait to watch movies at home. But on this gloomy rainy Sunday, we ventured out and saw a movie and it was super refreshing to have nothing to do today except make our matinee showing. Oh, and clean. And grocery shop. And do laundry.

I tried a new recipe today - spinach and artichoke chicken.  I've had a serious craving for all things spinach and artichoke dip lately, but as you can imagine, my diet seems to think that's a pretty NOT COOL idea. I found this recipe on Pinterest and it's pretty lightened up. I got Rob's stamp of approval [it doesn't really take much], and I'd totally recommend it. Next time, I'm totally throwing some diced tomatoes on top. Or hell, maybe I will just skip the chicken, add the warm pita chips and call it a day.

The house is clean, the laundry is done [sort of], dinner is clean and my pups are happily dozing. Oh, and Rob is currently cleaning the bathroom, which makes everything about this weekend seem so much better than it probably is. It's been one of those rare weekends where I actually have time to sit back and realize how fortunate I am, and how much I love my life. +1000 life points for being engaged and proactive in my own happiness during the worst months in Ohio :)




1 comment:

  1. LOVE these kinds of weekends! Good for you! I was didn't do half as much and now I feel bad. Opps.

    ReplyDelete