Sunday, January 20, 2013

support systems.

Incase no one has mentioned this yet, losing weight is hard. So is leaving your house when it's 28 degrees outside to go to the gym, saying no to food at the bar or choosing the most boring grilled chicken entree you've ever seen over your favorite pasta dish at a restaurant. Sometimes I feel like the only way to stay truly accountable to my weight loss plan is to completely void myself of temptation, which is also code for "locking yourself in a room and not socializing until you're happy with your weight." Well, guess what? That's not real life. I refuse to turn down plans to meet friends for dinner, weekends away where I will be tempted with horrible menu options for three meals a day and celebrating over dinner, just because it thwarts my plans to be a size 4. So, how do you find balance?

I guess I don't know the answer to this. I workout a lot, really. And I do my best. Usually, this means I'm taking two steps forward and one step back. But at that rate, I will at least get there eventually. My friend and I were just discussing how important and valuable it is to have people on the same page as you. She and I both go to Zumba at our local rec, and just knowing she will be there is sometimes reason enough for me to stick around after my strength training class instead of bailing to go home early. It's the reason I don't ditch Saturday morning workouts, too. And I've been thinking - how many other people are out there in the Dayton area that want the same kind of accountability? I'm not talking about a giant Biggest Loser competition or something. I'm talking about a support system of people who are on the same page as you are - a place to talk about exercise, weight loss struggles, new recipes, successes and milestones, sign up for 5k races and walks, and otherwise have an outlet to hangout and discuss all of obstacles and finding balance for being happy, fit and healthy.

I guess I just feel like we're at the age where it gets really easy to start putting our health on the back burner. And yet for whatever reason, we all have something we'd love to look fabulous or feel our best for. Whether it's a wedding, an upcoming vacation, recovering from baby weight gain, not getting lazy post-marriage or just wanting to put yourself in better shape to be fit and healthy, "getting healthy" seems to be a trend right now, and I feel like so many of us reach out and connect via blog, Facebook comments, etc. I'm not saying I need a group of people to go to Zumba with me, or that we all need to sit around in a circle and talk about eating our feelings. In my mind, I keep thinking that there are so many people in this area on the right track to lose weight and be healthy - be it through tracking calories, going to Weight Watchers meetings, or just hitting the gym a few times a week. I thought it'd be cool to give people a social outlet where everyone is on the same page as you. Coffee, wine nights, and other non-food-driven events could be the setting for productive conversation, support and good old fashioned hangout time without feeling the pressure of ordering bad-for-you food.

Maybe I'm crazy. Or maybe I'm the one really just looking for support. Knowing I have to fit into a wedding dress in 8 months is great motivation but I know there are moments I want to just bail on my workout, throw in the towel or go to happy hour instead of eat my pre-planned meal (this one happens, probably too often), and I know other people feel the same way.

If anyone is interested in this, shoot me an email [lauren.mayberry@gmail.com], or a Facebook message. Or comment on here. Or send me a courier pigeon. Or an owl (HP for the win). I realize it's a long shot, but with the Dayton area saturated with people I know who are my age and balancing all things work, kids, marriage, lots of binge drinking and Bad Juans, exercise, eating right, and otherwise trying to save the world, I thought it's worth a shot, right?

And if I get no responses, I will probably be too embarrassed and make up a fake health group that I regularly attend so that none of you know I'm secretly a huge loser. Winning!

1 comment: