Sunday, January 27, 2013

sunday musings.

A collection of thoughts for you on this cold grey Sunday.

As I'm not what most would consider "crafty," I'd like to make a board on Pinterest dedicated to crafts I'd like other people to make me. I like to be frugal, "upcycle," and thrifty, but my craft skills should be limited to the macaroni art created in elementary school.

Today, Rob and I bought gourmet burgers from the meat department at our grocery store and fired up the grill for a fabulous lunch. Sometimes a little food creativity and effort can go a long way, and is much more delicious than eating out (and cheaper)!

Inspiration from my last blog has proven to be a popular idea, and there is now a Facebook group created to inspire, motivate and provide support for those in the area (and not in the area!) trying to lose weight, or just stay healthy. It seems to have been successful so far - if you're interested in being involved, let me know! It's been a great resource for posting wins, fails, workout plans and new recipe reviews - life presents crazy challenges that keep us from all spending real time together, but it's nice to know that there are people on the same page as you.

I've had a major sweet tooth lately. I cannot get enough dessert, and this is so unlike me. If this is a new leaf I'm turning over, I'd prefer to leave it unturned.

I went to pick up my wedding dress on Saturday and got halfway through lunch before I realized I left it at the bridal shop. Um... worst bride ever?

I've been doing a pretty decent job at trying out new recipes. I had it set at doing one new recipe per month, but creativity has gotten the best of me and I've tried a few new things. Favorites have included Skinnytaste santa fe chicken and spinach and artichoke chicken - I desperately need to start cooking with things other than chicken, but I'm so particular about red meat, I hate seafood and Rob isn't a big fan of pork. Chicken it is then, right?

I've been doing a core class at my gym this month. I do regular strength training classes 3 times a week, but they don't focus enough on my abs and core, and well, my wedding dress isn't going to zip itself. I am in love with this class, and a quick couple of miles on the treadmill after class has helped me fill a typical rest day with another workout. Hopefully all this effort will pay off!

I made my grandma's vegetable soup recipe tonight for dinner - she wrote the recipe down for me a couple years ago on a piece of paper with a tiger on it, and it now has stains and splotches on it from laying too close to a hot pot of soup. I had one of those few moments that you're supposed to cherish forever - when I realized that all the recipes I find on Pinterest and on food blogs do not hold a candle to having a hand written recipe from grandma. I will probably have it for the rest of my life. There is something to be said for a physical collection of hand written recipes, shoved into index cards and covered in flour, stains and real life cooking. You can't get that on the internet.

Rob and I cleaned the office tonight. If you've ever seen our office, you know how big of a deal that is.

I bought an awesome mint green woven with navy polka dots at Target today, and now I need it to be spring so I can justify wearing it.

I seem to be having a serious cause of "I hate my sinuses" and if it keeps me feeling crappy and away from the gym this week, I will flip out.

Next weekend is my first chance to sit down with both my bridesmaids and my fantastic wedding officiant and chat about my wedding. I know it seems like that's all I'm talking about, and if I were Lauren Circa 2010 reading this, I'd puke for days. But Lauren Circa 2013 seems to think that saying "I do" to someone for the rest of your days is kind of a big deal.

The cold weather made me realize how much I really love and cherish our walks with the dogs in the warmer months. I am so antsy to get out - in the summer, we walk to the grocery store, to get coffee, to see live music, and we walk the 3 mile trek at one of our local parks a couple times a week. This frigid weather has never made me feel so stir crazy - is it May yet?

Sometimes I feel like I've gotten so boring. Like - I bore myself, even. I'm not quite sure if I've actually gotten boring, or if I've just finally developed self discipline and decided to buckle down before wedding madness hits this spring? Either way, I'm really sorry if all my health bullshit and lack of sarcastic venting about the country's typical stereotypes has made me the most boring person on the planet.

I could watch Bridesmaids, all day every day. Help me, I'm poor.

Wow - I really apologize if you're not totally health and food obsessed and I just bored the hell out of you. I'm happily still stuck on the beginning of the year high that resolutioners seem to be on, and it's been great to connect lately with other people who have a similar mindset. Hope everyone has a great week!



1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely correct - hand written (family) recipes are nothing short of amazing.

    ReplyDelete